TeL: 416-661-2111

Temporary Entry

Temporary Residence- Study Permit

If you intend to come to Canada to study and you are a foreign national, you will likely need a study permit. This is a document issued by the Canadian government that gives the holder permission to study in Canada for a temporary period. In most cases, study permit specifies the particular educational institution and course of study.

Study permits are temporary visas and as such you will be required to satisfy a Visa officer when entering Canada that you will be studying in Canada for a temporary period.

Qualifying for a Study permit

An applicant must meet a number of criteria before he or she can be issued a Study permit by a visa officer:

1. There must be an offer of acceptance from a qualified Canadian educational institution. This could be in the form of a letter of admission from the school you intend to attend.

2. You will be required to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to pay the school’s tuition and for your general living expenses during your course of study Up to at least one year

3. You may have to undergo an immigration medical exam and if you normally require a visitor visa to Canada, you will have to be issued one in addition to your study permit. If you are from a visa free country, you do not have to apply for a visitor visa to study in Canada.

Can I work while on a Study Permit?

The answer is Yes but under certain conditions such as:

When your employment is on-campus;

When the work has been certified as being an integral part of the program of study and as part of gaining relevant experience in your field of study;

When the work consist of academic research or a post-doctoral fellowship;

When the work takes place after graduation in a field related to the program of study.

In addition, spouses of international students are eligible to work temporarily in Canada.

Under what circumstances will I study in Canada without a Study permit?

You do not require a Study permit when:

You take a French or English language training course that is not more than three months in duration;

You are the spouse or dependant child of: a diplomat or consular officer; a representative of a foreign country; or a representative of the United Nations or any other intergovernmental organization of which Canada is a member.









DISCLAIMER: The following has been prepared by Roy C.Amadi, Barrister and Solicitor for the sole purpose and intended reference by interested individuals and is not intended to create an attorney-client communication. This write-up maybe reproduced for the personal non-commercial use of interested individuals on the express or implied condition that the contents herein are neither edited, modified nor altered in whole or in part, directly or indirectly without the express written consent of the author herein.

Copyright ©2006
Designed and maintained by EPH a Toronto Web Design and Mobile Apps firm.